Ahead of the 2018 legislative session, Governor Roy Cooper released his alterations to the budget. His budget priorities include the following:
- All teachers would receive at least a 5% raise, with the average raise being 8%. This includes veteran teachers, who do not receive a raise under the current budget.
- Principals would get an 8% increase in base pay
- Adds 2,000 pre-K slots
- Includes $25 million for textbooks and digital learning
- Provides educators with a $150 stipend for out-of-pocket classroom expenses
- Includes $130 million to hire more support professionals, such as nurses and school resource officers