Introduction to ACEs and Resilience
- A Quick Introduction to Resilience and ACEs
- What is Child Traumatic Stress?
- Toxic Stress: Center for the Developing Child at Harvard University
- Resilience Documentary Website
- ACE’s Adverse Childhood Experiences: A Message from Dr. Robert Anda and Oprah Winfrey
- A national and across-state profile on Adverse Childhood Experiences among U.S. children and possibilities to heal and thrive
- Traumatic Experiences Widespread Among U.S. Youth, New Data Show
- Overview of the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study Robert F. Anda, MD, MS Co-Principal Investigator
- Key Concepts: Resilience
- What is Resilience? (Video)
- Dr. Nadine Burke Harris (Podcast)
ACES, Trauma, and Resilience
- Should Childhood Trauma Be Treated As A Public Health Crisis?
- Why a Boston Teachers College Is Sending Its Students to Northern Ireland to Learn About a Child Trauma Program That Could Help U.S. Kids, Too
- Building stronger students: FSU launches Student Resilience Project
- Resilience practices overcome students’ ACEs in trauma-informed high school, say the data
- Treating Childhood Trauma: Oprah Winfrey on 60 Minutes
- ACEs and Our Day with Dr. Vincent Felitti
- Ten Ways to Foster Resilience in Young Children – Teaching Kids to “Bounce Back”
- Essentials for Childhood: Steps to Create Safe, Stable, Nurturing Relationships and Environments
- Cyberbullying – 7 tips to teach kids resilience
- Helping Children Cope with Disaster
- Building protective factors against ACEs
- 3 Ways School Counselors Can Boost SEL
- School Leaders’ Role in Empowering Teachers through SEL
- SEL a critical component in improving school climate
- How SEL inspired a transformation in my school
- SEL checkups at school: Schools more closely assess the social-emotional strengths of students and the impact of new programs
- Principals Focus on Serving Student Social-Emotional Needs
Mental Health in Schools
- Why You Need a Trauma-Informed Therapist, Even if You Don’t Think You Have TRAUMA
- How this Indiana district realized counselors weren’t spending enough time counseling
- Students draft measure calling for gun control, school mental health resources
- ‘You try to triage’: NYC is spending big on counseling, but staff on the front lines say needs are going unmet
- California law expands mental health support for preschoolers
- Extending Mental Health Help to Vulnerable Kids
- Addressing mental health issues critical to boosting academic success
- Interagency collaboration, need for more counselors highlighted at federal school safety session
- Rocky Mount Telegram – Schools to offer therapy services
- Trump’s School Safety Commission Probes ‘Trauma-Informed’ Mental Health Supports
- Are counselors stretched too thin to meet students’ social-emotional needs?
Restorative Justice and Disciplinary Reforms
- Watchdog group says disciplinary reforms in Rochester schools are helping students
- Restorative practices can transform school culture
- Restorative justice is about more than just reducing suspensions
- As school discipline disparities worsen, Illinois has yet to require reforms
- Report: Black students with disabilities suspended more than white peers
- Disabling Punishment: The Need for Remedies to the Disparate Loss of Instruction Experienced by Black Students with Disabilities
- FROM ZERO TO SB100: Teachers’ Views on Implementation of School Discipline Reform
- The Promise of Restorative Practices to Transform Teacher-Student Relationships and Achieve Equity in School Discipline
- Five Protective Factors Also in Spanish!
Harassment and Bullying
- Want to Prevent Harassment and Assault in Schools? Listen to Students.
- How are school districts legally responsible for bullying?
- Laying down the law on bullying and cyberbullying
Resources for Educators
- Building Community With Friendly Fridays
- Simple Tips for Boosting Teacher Resilience
- Teaching Students How to Deal With Stress
- Teaching Students to Disagree Productively
- 4 ways to teach empathy in the classroom
- Worksheets can help students identify stress, build resilience
- A 4-Step Process for Building Student Resilience?
- 5 Ways To Make Classrooms More Inclusive
- Destress The Classroom: Bringing Mindfulness To Students And Teachers
- Secondary Traumatic Stress for Educators: Understanding and Mitigating the Effects
- Study: Absenteeism interventions most effective with students who miss the most school
- Anti-poverty programs boost students’ academic performance
- Want to boost test scores and increase grad rates? One strategy: look outside schools and help low-income families
- Letting students fail can build resilient, confident learners
- Welcoming Students With a Smile
- The How and Why of Trauma-Informed Teaching
- Trauma can make it hard for kids to learn. Here’s how teachers learn to deal with that.
- Important Questions to Ask Your Students
- Writing to Heal
- Connections Go a Long Way for Students With Trauma
- To Understand Your Students, Use ‘Compassionate Curiosity’
- 5 Ways to Help Students in Trauma
- Building resilience in classrooms and schools
- How Educators Can Nurture Resilience in High-Risk Children and Their Families
- Pinterest: Aces and resilience in education
Resources for Parents
- National Alliance for Targeted Parents: ACEs, Trauma & Resilience
- How to Raise Resilient Kids
- Tip Sheets for Parents
- Parenting Resources
- When Things Aren’t Perfect: Caring for Yourself and Your Children
- Sesame Street in Communities: Traumatic Experiences
- Robert Anda | “Understanding ACEs : Building Self-Healing Communities”
- Nadine Burke Harris, MD – “The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity”
- Robert Anda, co-founder of the ACE Study
- Vincent Felitti: Reflections on the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study
- Adverse Childhood Effect Study with Dr. Vincent Felitti
- InBrief: How Resilience is Built
- How Childhood Trauma Can Make You A Sick Adult
- Ted Talk: Dr. Nadine Burke
- TED Talk – How Childhood Trauma Affects Health Across a Lifetime
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE), Featuring Dr. Robert Anda
- Sesame Street in Communities: A Child’s Perspective of a Traumatic Experience
- Sesame Street in Communities: Helping Children Cope When a Loved One is Incarcerated
- Combating Adverse Childhood Experiences through Resilience Based Interventions
- NC Early Childhood Summit Keynote Speaker Dr Jack Shonkoff
· Building Resilience in Students Impacted by Adverse Childhood Experiences: A Whole-Staff Approach by Romero, Robertson, & Warner. 2018.
· Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom (Quick Reference Guide) Pamphlet by Krstin Souers. 2018.
· The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity by Nadine Burke Harris. 2018.
· Summary of The Deepest Well by Nadine Burke Harris. 2018.
· It Didn’t Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle by Wolynn. 2018.
- The ACEs Revolution!: The Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences by John Richard Trayser. 2016
· Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom by Souers and Hall. 2016.
· Nurturing Resilience: Helping Clients Move Forward from Developmental Trauma–An Integrative Somatic Approach by Kain and Terrell. 2016.
· The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel Van Der Kolk. 2015.
· Childhood Disrupted: How Your Biography Becomes Your Biology, and How You Can Heal by Nakazawa. 2015.
· Trauma-Sensitive Schools: Learning Communities Transforming Children’s Lives, K–5 by Susan Craig. 2015.
· Resilience: The Biology of Stress & The Science of Hope
· Paper Tigers
- Decoding the Teenage Brain (in 3 Charts)
- Locked Away: The Toll of Mass Incarceration on Students
- Principal: Listening to, caring for staff’s needs key to success
- Survey: LGBT students face more hostile school climates
- Social Media’s Impact on Students’ Mental Health Comes Into Focus
- Hate in Schools
- How to best serve Latino students
- Why one teacher relies on the power of music to engage immigrant students
- Person-first language key to school inclusivity
- Study: Principals, support programs key to retaining black teachers
- Black teachers leave schools at higher rates — but why?
- Survey: Just over half of middle, high school students feel safe at school