Be an informed Education Voter by finding out where legislative candidates stand on education issues.
We surveyed education advocates and researchers, parents, teachers and students from all over our state about the public education issues they believe are critical to supporting and strengthening public education in NC.
Participants responded that they are most concerned about the teacher shortage/pipeline, about making our public schools more equitable, and about the impacts of privatization policies on our public schools.
We summarized the issues they listed as important to public education in the questions below.
Top Twelve Must Ask Questions for Legislative Candidates
- Do you support a moratorium on school vouchers?
- Do you support reinstating a cap on charter schools?
- Do you support restoring Master’s pay and giving teachers due process rights?
- Do you support local school districts being responsible for authorizing and overseeing charter schools in their district?
- Do you support raising principal pay and basing it on experience?
- Do you support restoring class size caps for grades 4 and 5?
- Do you support providing a statewide construction bond to help pay for classrooms needed due to new K-3 school size reductions?
- Do you support a more equitable grading system for schools?
- Do you support keeping guns off school grounds and out of classrooms?
- How will you promote desegregation of our schools?
- How will you help our high poverty schools and students?
- What is your plan for teacher recruitment and retention?
BONUS Question: Do you support raising teacher pay and per pupil funding to the national average?
Last updated March 1, 2018